Feedbro Reader

Tue, Mar. 30th, 2021 05:16 pm
tozka: a rabbit in front of a computer (computer rabbit)
[personal profile] tozka
Feedbro Reader is an RSS reader for browsers that I've been testing for a few months. I have the Firefox version which lives quietly in my toolbar until I remember it's there and click on it for new articles. I'm really liking it!



Nice things:
- Free!

- Works in my browser, so don't need to self-host anything on a separate site

- Adding new feeds, deleting feeds, reading posts, etc. are all super easy to do.

- Can find "hidden" RSS feeds on websites-- useful for sites that refuse to link to their RSS feed in the first place.

- Can organize feeds into folders and/or tags. Has import/export thingies, customizable style/theme, ability to favorite, etc. Has lots of other options I haven't bothered using because I really just need a basic, free RSS reader that doesn't try to insert ads in my feeds.

- Speaking of: doesn't insert ads into feeds. In fact has a privacy policy which seems more on the "your stuff is your stuff and we don't want to sell it" side of things. I think it's made by Finnish people, which might explain that.

Cons:
- Not available for mobile, since it's an addon.

- Feed subscription list might get lost in a huge broswer crash? Hasn't happened to me yet, but I've had addons get weird before.

Date: Mar. 31st, 2021 06:57 am (UTC)
potofsoup: (Default)
From: [personal profile] potofsoup
ooooo! intriguing! I've been slumming it with DW feeds but this looks very awesome!

Date: Mar. 31st, 2021 07:19 am (UTC)
honigfrosch: a stark, stylized black and white photo of a man's face in semi profile (Default)
From: [personal profile] honigfrosch
Heh, I use FeedBro too and it's really reliable. I love how readable it is, i.e. uncluttered, neither oversized nor too small... it just works, and the "hidden feed finder" is a blessing (I'm looking at you, Youtube, where before I had to jump through a lot of hoops to add a feed manually.)

Date: Mar. 31st, 2021 12:09 pm (UTC)
dolorosa_12: (doll anime)
From: [personal profile] dolorosa_12
I don't use RSS feeds, but I know a lot of people on Dreamwidth who did so in the past, and mourn their demise. Do you mind if I post a link to you post on my Dreamwidth so that others are aware of FeedBro's existence?

Date: Mar. 31st, 2021 03:14 pm (UTC)
quodthey: (Default)
From: [personal profile] quodthey
ooh, thanks for the link! this looks very good.

Date: Mar. 31st, 2021 03:44 pm (UTC)
recently_folded: (Default)
From: [personal profile] recently_folded
I too have been using Feedbro for, oh, several years now and yeah, it just sits there doing its thing reliably and—oh the relief—quietly. From time to time in my rounds of backups I do export my feed list, but I've never needed to do a restore. Well, I did that time Zoom fatally turned off my sound card and I had to do an OS reinstall, but never on account of Feedbro itself. But it worked perfectly when I imported the backup, so I have faith in it.

Date: Mar. 31st, 2021 04:12 pm (UTC)
yourlibrarian: Merlin Reading (MERL-MerlinReading - sallymn)
From: [personal profile] yourlibrarian
I use DW as my feed reader but I expect a lot of people could find this of help. My one concern about browser plugins are updates and losing one's feed lists but I find feed readers a real necessity so it's good to know about this easy solution.

Style Credit

A Quote

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”
― Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios