ai tarpit, free books, citrus con
Wed, Apr. 16th, 2025 05:23 pmHello, happy Wednesday! I saw a family of quail come out from some shrubbery earlier and I've been floating on a high of bird-happiness all day.
Citrus Con is a free online BL/queer fan convention happening June 20-22, 2025! Grab your ticket before June 19, 2025.
Tumblr (or rather its parent company Automattic) is having some recent troubles (also here) and laid off 16% of its staff.
A few new guides posted to
newcomers recently:
soc_puppet wrote a guide to mood themes, how to back up your Tumblr account and alternatives to talking in the tags
ysabetwordsmith wrote about how to post fiction or other writing-- a really good resource for people who are used to only posting on AO3 or other similar websites-- and how to find your Tumblr friends on DW
I've really been enjoying
rachelmanija's book review posts, and have added several of them to my wishlist/TBR list. (She writes really good books herself, too!)
Here's a few recent releases on Project Gutenberg that're available for free download:
1. The intelligent woman's guide to socialism and capitalism by (George) Bernard Shaw, yes that GBS. Here's the Wikipedia article about the book.
2. "This was a man" : A comedy in three acts by Noël Coward
3. A doctor enjoys Sherlock Holmes by Edward J. Van Liere
Isis Unveiled by H. P. Blavatsky (Helena Petrovna Blavatsky) Volume 1 and Volume 2 (Wikipedia entry here)
A few AI-related links:
erinptah posted a great LLM (AI) news roundup from the past few months.
From Bloomberg: The AI Romance Factory, about an AI startup trying to flood the romance book market with dreck. (h/t The Rec Center)
You can fight AI in indie publishing by leaving reviews from
hazeldomain (h/t
dduane)
And an article from Ars Technica: AI haters build tarpits to trap and trick AI scrapers that ignore robots.txt:
A few RSS feeds I've added to my reader this week:
r/Frugal
r/Composting
Low-Tech Magazine (English feed)
Interested in more links? I've compiled all previous linkspam posts here on my website.
Citrus Con is a free online BL/queer fan convention happening June 20-22, 2025! Grab your ticket before June 19, 2025.
Tumblr (or rather its parent company Automattic) is having some recent troubles (also here) and laid off 16% of its staff.
A few new guides posted to
I've really been enjoying
Here's a few recent releases on Project Gutenberg that're available for free download:
1. The intelligent woman's guide to socialism and capitalism by (George) Bernard Shaw, yes that GBS. Here's the Wikipedia article about the book.
2. "This was a man" : A comedy in three acts by Noël Coward
3. A doctor enjoys Sherlock Holmes by Edward J. Van Liere
Isis Unveiled by H. P. Blavatsky (Helena Petrovna Blavatsky) Volume 1 and Volume 2 (Wikipedia entry here)
A few AI-related links:
From Bloomberg: The AI Romance Factory, about an AI startup trying to flood the romance book market with dreck. (h/t The Rec Center)
You can fight AI in indie publishing by leaving reviews from
And an article from Ars Technica: AI haters build tarpits to trap and trick AI scrapers that ignore robots.txt:
Aaron clearly warns users that Nepenthes is aggressive malware. It's not to be deployed by site owners uncomfortable with trapping AI crawlers and sending them down an "infinite maze" of static files with no exit links, where they "get stuck" and "thrash around" for months, he tells users. Once trapped, the crawlers can be fed gibberish data, aka Markov babble, which is designed to poison AI models. That's likely an appealing bonus feature for any site owners who, like Aaron, are fed up with paying for AI scraping and just want to watch AI burn.
A few RSS feeds I've added to my reader this week:
r/Frugal
r/Composting
Low-Tech Magazine (English feed)
Interested in more links? I've compiled all previous linkspam posts here on my website.
Thank you!
Date: Apr. 17th, 2025 01:22 am (UTC)Re: Thank you!
Date: Apr. 17th, 2025 01:52 am (UTC)Re: Thank you!
Date: Apr. 17th, 2025 02:57 am (UTC)I just posted a couple more resources in
no subject
Date: Apr. 18th, 2025 02:30 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 18th, 2025 05:28 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 18th, 2025 09:36 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 18th, 2025 05:29 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 18th, 2025 06:03 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 18th, 2025 09:29 pm (UTC)And for a fun popcorn book I loved Jaclyn Osborn's Sent To A Fantasy World and Now All the Men Want Me series! The latest book maybe has a tiny bit too much crying, but overall still good. There's been some recent surges of spoke-and-wheel romances which interest me because they're so different from the usual romance plots (which mainly only go up to maybe 3 people max).
Oh! And I've been reading more KL Noone books recently and really been liking them, too-- queer fantasy romance is my favorite genre. I'm about to start reading The Snails of Dun Nas, actually.
And I read this one ages ago but I want to plug it because it's so funny and cute: Isabel Murray's Gary of a Hundred Days and sequel! She writes very funny books-- not slapstick, but sort of like PG Wodehouse where the protagonist is a bit silly and the other non-silly characters are fond of them (or else they're silly, too, and then they get into trouble together).
no subject
Date: Apr. 19th, 2025 09:21 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 20th, 2025 01:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 20th, 2025 07:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 20th, 2025 08:07 pm (UTC)firstsecond book, The Bachelor's Valet, is similar to Gary: floating through life without realizing a lot of things about others and about himself. He doesn't have the same humour, though *sigh* I like these characters that are a little bit clueless, lacking self-awareness, but Gary is also funny, which is what made him special to me <3no subject
Date: Apr. 21st, 2025 08:16 pm (UTC)I'm always keeping an eye out for more romantic comedy type books, and I do have a few more recommendations if you want them: Devon Doe's Am I the Problem? series (which are based off of Reddit AITA posts I think), Jennifer Cody's Murder Sprees and Mute Decrees series (this one has fun paranormal stuff in it, too), and Lily Morton's Mixed Messages series. Also the first couple books in Joel Abernathy's Bro and the Beast series made me laugh SO HARD, though unfortunately he didn't keep that up for the entire run.
no subject
Date: Apr. 21st, 2025 08:33 pm (UTC)Please do keep reccing stuff! *unrolls reading list like that Crowley gif* Edit: found it!
I thought I had some books by Joel Abernathy in my library but nope, he's a new one for me, too *gleeful*
no subject
Date: Apr. 22nd, 2025 07:11 pm (UTC)However!! I get most of MY recs from r/MM_RomanceBooks (they also have threads for non m/m (but still queer) books) and they're great at getting recs for specific tropes or whatever. I highly recommend checking them out if you're not already familiar with them!
no subject
Date: Apr. 23rd, 2025 08:42 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 25th, 2025 08:57 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 27th, 2025 07:10 pm (UTC)