us civics, frick museum, wiscon
Tue, Apr. 22nd, 2025 03:08 pmGood afternoon, happy Tuesday! I finally spotted the morning doves again-- well, actually, one of the landed on the back porch and made eye contact with me through the sliding glass door, and then another dove dive-bombed the first one and they both flew off. Fun!
Got some links for y'all here! I'm experimenting with formatting this time. Is this easier to read, or worse?

siderea did an informal poll about some of the differences in educational systems in the US, with regards specifically to when US civics was taught.
I did most of my schooling in Maryland and I took a civics class in 9th or 10th grade, but I'm pretty sure we went over some stuff before then in elementary school/middle school. We had mock presidential elections, for instance, so I'm sure we at least went over the stuff about voting.
I also remember seeing the Schoolhouse Rock video about how bills are passed, but I honestly can't remember where along my educational timeline it happened. I AM fairly certain a teacher showed it to us, though!

While looking for how to block/ban a user, I found a Dreamwidth subreddit! It's not super active, but it's always nice to see DW users "out in the wild" elsewhere on the internet.
(You can't really block someone but you can ban them from commenting which I guess is good as long as they don't try to circumvent it by, like, logging out..."It is only possible to ban or remove access from people by Dreamwidth account name, and not by IP address, email address or any other form of identity.")


WisCon 47 is an online feminist science fiction & fantasy convention happening this year on May 23-25.
I attended WisCon 44 in 2020 and really enjoyed it, so I'm going to buy a ticket and do it again this year, too. Are you going to WisCONline, too?
You can follow updates at
wiscon, btw!

Kleroteria is an "email lottery" where one subscriber is chosen to write an (anonymous) email to the rest of the mailing list. This sounds really cool and I signed up-- maybe I'll get picked to write!

Inside the renovated Frick museum are intimate remnants of the family (and servants) who lived there (h/t
conuly) -- the Frick Museum just re-opened after extensive renovations (and a move to another building) and this post goes on a short tour of the new space.
Museums-in-houses are interesting because they're so divorced from how they were originally used; I love that this post focuses on the people who worked there rather than just the rich people who owned it and filled it with stuff.
Sidenote! The Frick has a virtual tour of the old building (Frick Madison) still available (here's the Vermeer room; with links to the audio guide, too!), and looks like they're going to be making a new one for the new location.
(I have a big list of virtual museum tours here btw.)
Somewhat related: I've been uploading some icon sets to
lakertya, my icon comm. The newest batch is Van Gogh close-ups, the first in a series of icons focusing on small details in larger paintings.

I've been exploring online radio stations recently-- more on the pirate radio side than, like, official broadcast radio kinda thing. It's a fun way to find new music and "radio show hosts" (live podcast hosts?).
KP Radio has a call-in element where you can talk to the hosts during the live shows. They also have a widget you can put on your website!

And finally: Brian at ultrascience labs wrote a research post about indie web graphics, called Why we are still using 88x31 buttons. I think basically it boils down to a combo of nostalgia and for the lolz, but I liked learning about the history of why buttons are that size, specifically.
Need more stuff to read? I've compiled all previous linkspam posts here on my website or of course you can explore the linkspam tag below.
Got some links for y'all here! I'm experimenting with formatting this time. Is this easier to read, or worse?

I did most of my schooling in Maryland and I took a civics class in 9th or 10th grade, but I'm pretty sure we went over some stuff before then in elementary school/middle school. We had mock presidential elections, for instance, so I'm sure we at least went over the stuff about voting.
I also remember seeing the Schoolhouse Rock video about how bills are passed, but I honestly can't remember where along my educational timeline it happened. I AM fairly certain a teacher showed it to us, though!

While looking for how to block/ban a user, I found a Dreamwidth subreddit! It's not super active, but it's always nice to see DW users "out in the wild" elsewhere on the internet.
(You can't really block someone but you can ban them from commenting which I guess is good as long as they don't try to circumvent it by, like, logging out..."It is only possible to ban or remove access from people by Dreamwidth account name, and not by IP address, email address or any other form of identity.")


WisCon 47 is an online feminist science fiction & fantasy convention happening this year on May 23-25.
I attended WisCon 44 in 2020 and really enjoyed it, so I'm going to buy a ticket and do it again this year, too. Are you going to WisCONline, too?
You can follow updates at

Kleroteria is an "email lottery" where one subscriber is chosen to write an (anonymous) email to the rest of the mailing list. This sounds really cool and I signed up-- maybe I'll get picked to write!

Inside the renovated Frick museum are intimate remnants of the family (and servants) who lived there (h/t
Museums-in-houses are interesting because they're so divorced from how they were originally used; I love that this post focuses on the people who worked there rather than just the rich people who owned it and filled it with stuff.
Sidenote! The Frick has a virtual tour of the old building (Frick Madison) still available (here's the Vermeer room; with links to the audio guide, too!), and looks like they're going to be making a new one for the new location.
(I have a big list of virtual museum tours here btw.)
Somewhat related: I've been uploading some icon sets to

I've been exploring online radio stations recently-- more on the pirate radio side than, like, official broadcast radio kinda thing. It's a fun way to find new music and "radio show hosts" (live podcast hosts?).
KP Radio has a call-in element where you can talk to the hosts during the live shows. They also have a widget you can put on your website!

And finally: Brian at ultrascience labs wrote a research post about indie web graphics, called Why we are still using 88x31 buttons. I think basically it boils down to a combo of nostalgia and for the lolz, but I liked learning about the history of why buttons are that size, specifically.
Need more stuff to read? I've compiled all previous linkspam posts here on my website or of course you can explore the linkspam tag below.
no subject
Date: Apr. 23rd, 2025 03:37 am (UTC)I definitely had civics in 4-6th grade because I remember the mock voting because I voted for John Anderson, an independent for President and horrified my teacher (even then I rejected the idea of a 2 party system)
no subject
Date: Apr. 25th, 2025 08:52 pm (UTC)OMG that's really depressing, yikes.
no subject
Date: Apr. 26th, 2025 04:51 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 23rd, 2025 05:02 pm (UTC)I really like this new format, the divisors are very cute and it feels like it has more breathing room. Very cute!
For blocking, I think there's a way to play around with
Dreamwidth killfile(nope, it was hosted on the defunct userstyles.org and I can't find a mirror) or with DW blocker, hmmm.Oh, maybe this is easier, have you seen this support ticket and also this post about blocking comments by
Hey, I hadn't noticed that you had uploaded so many icons on your comm, I'm gonna go through all your posts, mwahaha :D
no subject
Date: Apr. 25th, 2025 08:54 pm (UTC)Thank you~! ♥
Re:blocking: I think for now I'm happy with the comment block thing DW has-- this is more of a pre-emptive block because I saw some comments this person was leaving on a mutual's journal and I just don't want to give them the chance to leave them here is all. But thank you for the links!
no subject
Date: Apr. 27th, 2025 07:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Apr. 28th, 2025 03:48 pm (UTC)