tozka: title character sitting with a friend (Default)
[personal profile] tozka
I'm working on a new project that's taking up a lot of my bandwidth for the moment, but I'm hoping it'll lead to good things in about 6+ months, so I'm gonna have to keep at it. Unfortunately that means I've had less energy for writing journal entries, but I'm going to make an effort to catch up this weekend.

Queens That Never Were, a list of firstborn girl children of monarchs who might've been ruling queen if primogeniture wasn't a thing. I feel like this would make an awesome series of alternative history books.

Cultural Guide for Fediverse Newcomers:
Sure, there isn't a single culture to the whole Fediverse, but from every single user's perspective, there is.

So talking about “Fediverse culture,” is always talking about the shapeless and shifting culture that the speaker is exposed to on the Fediverse, and while it's a bit sloppy to use that shorthand, it's not going to change.

If people are talking about Fediverse culture, and you see it, on the Fediverse, they're talking (at least in part) about the culture you're a part of, and you shouldn't just brush that off.


There's a lot of D&D web series on Youtube now! I recently found this one:


No One Wants Your Used Clothes Anymore: The rise of "fast fashion" is thus creating a bleak scenario: The tide of secondhand clothes keeps growing even as the markets to reuse them are disappearing. From an environmental standpoint, that's a big problem. Already, the textile industry accounts for more greenhouse-gas emissions than all international flights and maritime shipping combined; as recycling markets break down, its contribution could soar.

Possible helpful things to do: buy better quality stuff, shop used/secondhand, pass things down in families (or with friends), upcycle your used stuff into quilts or bags or something.

Did I already post about cottagecore? It's basically where I'm at IRL right now and one of my 5 year goals is to get into a dang country (or country-ish) house.

Date: Jan. 31st, 2020 05:03 am (UTC)
olivermoss: (Default)
From: [personal profile] olivermoss
The reason I spend so much time shopping is to be picky about what I buy, whether it's clothing, bags or other items. I am so picky about bags that I am never not shopping for them.

Vintage and thrift fashion are a thing in Portland, which is both good and bad. Our thrift store prices tend to be high. We do have a lot of clothing resale as well. Hopefully, using used clothes as raw materials can become a trend.

Date: Jan. 31st, 2020 02:52 pm (UTC)
grayestofghosts: a sketch of a man reading a paper (gay)
From: [personal profile] grayestofghosts
Something to consider as an individual is to see if you can donate clothing to transgender organizations instead of Goodwill and the like. Trans people have to switch over their wardrobe (to help them pass, at least to look appropriate for work) which is usually quite expensive and a lot of trans people are young without much money.

Date: Jan. 31st, 2020 09:33 pm (UTC)
yourlibrarian: Anya knows this story (BUF-KnowThisTale-mangofandango)
From: [personal profile] yourlibrarian
Good to know! I'm not sure what's in our area but I can keep an eye out the next time I'm donating clothes. I've used Freecycle for years but the last two years I've barely had any takers, even though 10 years ago I'd get 10 or more people jumping on a post offering clothes.

It's really depressing to read in the article that until so recently there was an efficient market for repurposing cloth, and yet now this reuse is being supplanted by the creation of blankets made from petroleum. Because I'm guessing that even though fleece can be made from recycled plastics that very little of that is getting done.

Style Credit

A Quote

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”
― Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios