tozka: Dawn (from Buffy) reading a book with a starry background (buffy dawn with stars)
[personal profile] tozka
The October readathon DID kick off a reading spree, and I've finished almost one book a day since it happened. I'm really happy to be reading so much again, and I hope I can keep doing it. On the other hand, I probably should stop staying up past 2am to finish a book...

Here's what I read in October.

Pre-readathon:
Slippery Creatures by KJ Charles, a historical m/m spy pulp/romance. Reviewed here.

Books read for the readathon:
On a Sunbeam by Tillie Warden, a sci-fi adventure and graphic novel. With lesbians!
Minor Mage by T. Kingfisher, a middle grade fantasy book.
The Alpha’s Warlock by Eliot Grayson, a paranormal m/m romance.
Rat Queens vol. 1-5 by Kurtis J. Wiebe and various artists, a fantasy comic book series. Technically I read volume 5 the day after the readathon.
Hex & Candy by Ashlyn Kane, a paranormal m/m romance.
A Study of Fiber & Demons by Jasmine Glower, a fantasy story with a m/m/f thruple* at the center.

Post-readathon:
Band Sinister by KJ Charles, a historical m/m romance which was LOVELY and very reminescent of Georgette Heyer's historical romances, to the point where now I want to go back and reread all my favorites again. This was the book that was the subject of a kerfuffle about consent in romance a few months ago; the actual scenes were very sweet but I suppose if you prefer more of a verging-on-noncon thing (very old school yaoi) then perhaps you wouldn't like it. You'd be missing out on a good book, though. I so wish KJ would write more in this world, especially since there's so many other characters who could have fleshed-out stories of their own, but so far it seems to be a standalone.

The first three books in the Lords of Discord (Claiming Marcus, Saving Rafe, Waking Bel) by Jocelynn Drake, a paranormal m/m romance series starring vampires. Entertaining in a popcorn sort of way-- and I'm a sucker for a series starring a family falling in love and making a BIGGER family. The first book is probably the best, but the third book has a m/m/m thruple with werewolves, so that's something.

Jericho Candelario’s Gay Debut by R. Cooper, a m/m romance starring an a/c repairman and a pastry chef (bakery owner?). A lovely contemporary story in a similar vein to Hottie Scotty and Mr. Porter, e.g. small town romance with two people who somehow keep misunderstanding each other but still fall in love.

Black Dog Blues by Rhys Ford, a paranormal/fantasy...mystery? I guess? Except not really, because the (bisexual) protag doesn't bother solving anything and gets shunted around from plot point to plot point, carrying around a lot of trauma and dodging overly enthusiastic paramours. It's from Dreamspinner's non-romance line, so despite the multiple potential romantic partners, it barely had kissing. I thought the worldbuilding was interesting but the plot was a little lacking and the protag somewhat passive. I have the next book in the series but idk if I'll end up reading it.

The Tales of Two Seers by R. Cooper, a fantasy/paranormal m/m romance short story collection. It's AU versions of her couples from her fabulous Beings in Loves series! These were very well written with all her typical gentle, emotional romances, but in a much shorter format which really worked for me because the longer ones sometimes give me empathy headaches.

Hither, Page by Cat Sebastian, an m/m historical mystery/romance that I forgot I had and very happily found the other day. It's another spy story, but in a very gentle sort of way (i.e. not pulp). I may write a full review later because I want to compare it to Slippery Creatures and maybe talk more about spy characters, etc.

*Triad might be the correct word? I'm not up on current poly romance slang. Thruple is fun to say, though.

Date: Nov. 1st, 2020 10:54 am (UTC)
merit: (Books II)
From: [personal profile] merit
Out of all the things to kerfuffle about... It is the sort of thing where both can merrily exist without detracting from the other.

Interesting comparison between Hither, Page and Slippery Creature. The former seems more cosy murder mystery rather Charles riffling through pulp tropes gleefully.

Date: Nov. 1st, 2020 03:18 pm (UTC)
oracne: turtle (Default)
From: [personal profile] oracne
I adored Hither, Page and would happily read more in the Band Sinister world.

Date: Nov. 1st, 2020 06:15 pm (UTC)
spikedluv: (summer: sunflowers by candi)
From: [personal profile] spikedluv
Congrats on all that reading!

Style Credit

A Quote

“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”
― Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios